Phoenix512's Anime Blog

Spoilers will abound along with opinions of love and hate of anime.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Okusama wa Mahou Shojo Review






A show about a grown woman who's a magical girl married to some unknown guy. There are some interesting subplots in this series but the focus will be probably be fanservice mostly.

Well let me say that first impressions isn't everything as my initial impression of the series was off based. It turns out that the show wasn't as fanservicy but it actually had a decent story after all. While watching the series, it begins to develop a slightly dark tone as Ureshiko tries to fight Sakura's attempts to erase the world that she had protected so long and along with her own inner turmoil with the man she married and the man she currently likes. Even Sakura begins to doubt her own conviction to change Wonderland as she falls in love with the same person that Ureshiko loves.

As for the character development, it was somewhat disappointing. While Ureshiko and Sakura develop quite nicely, some of the other characters were not. The love interest to both magical girls for instance, Tatsumi Kagura didn't develop as much. It seems that his character was mostly as a plot device for the two girls to get them to realize their character flaws. He did have a nice subplot with Ureshiko's husband, Tamotsu but the husband himself was a plot device for both Ureshiko and Tatsumi. The story itself was nicely paced and it was good but didn't bring out the emotions as much. The one part of the story where Tamotsu punched Tatsumi for supposely cheating on his mistress was really intense and just made me angry at the mistress. The animation could have been better in my opinion but oh well. I really like Ureshiko's voice since she played Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess.

There's one thing that bug me while watching the series which was that it really distant itself from the title. You would think that the husband would be a main character but he's really not as it's some kid instead who's playing the male lead character. I really thought the series would be about how the husband deals with his wife fighting magical threats everyday while waiting at home. Even though the final result was decent enough, it could have been more interesting from my idea. I suppose this series went against the regular magical girl formula but the ending did not.

Overall, the series is decent and something that you can pass the time with of somewhat happy and dark themes intermixed into each other. The lackluster character development and not powerful enough story doesn't make it a must-watch but if you're looking for a magical girl series that goes against the standard formula, then Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo is what you're looking for.

I give this series a 3 out of 5.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Problematic404 said…

    Hi! I am new to the blogging community and I was wondering if you could add me to your blogroll...and let me add your blog to mine? :P

    http://equivocal-resolution.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Phoenix512 said…

    You didn't have to ask to add me. There's one thing I noticed about your blog. Why's your posts are on the right hand side of the page?

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Problematic404 said…

    Hi! Umm...I think its the template I picked? Yea when you maximize the window the post goes far off to the right side, and I don't really know how to fix it, except maybe change the template and I am scared that I might lose everything...lol! I was wondering how did you get pics like that with the defined boxes and everything? Any suggestions are welcomed..Thanks!

     
  • At 12:47 AM, Blogger Phoenix512 said…

    You won't lose your posts when you switch your template but you will lose your links and such. Copy any links and columns before switching your template and just add them once the switch is complete. As for my screenshots, I used a program to shrink them down and keeps the same aspect ratio while doing it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home